Do you have a bump on your skin that won’t go away? Chances are, you may have ingrown hair. Ingrown hairs can be a nuisance, but they are usually easy to treat. In this article, we will discuss the causes of ingrown hairs, how to identify them, and how to treat them.
Causes Of Ingrown Hairs
There are many causes for ingrown hairs, but the most common ones are listed below.
1. Shaving – When you shave, you are in effect removing the hair that is located at the surface of your skin by cutting it. This can result in an ingrown hair, which is when the hair grows back into the skin rather than outward.
2. Clogged Pores – It may be difficult for the hair to break through the surface of the skin if your pores are clogged with dirt, oil, or dead skin cells. This can make it more difficult for the hair to grow. Ingrown hairs are another possible consequence of this.
3. Wrong Hair Removal Method – If you remove your hair using a technique other than shaving, you may have a greater risk of developing ingrown hairs than those who shave their hair. This is due to the fact that these techniques yank the hair out by the root, which leaves the hair follicle vulnerable to infection.
4. Poor Hygiene – If you do not thoroughly wash your skin, it can lead to clogged pores and an increased risk of ingrown hairs. This is especially true if you have oily or combination skin.
5. Dead Skin Cells – When there are dead skin cells on the surface of the skin, it can be challenging for new hairs to push through and become visible. Ingrown hairs are another potential consequence of doing this.
6. Heredity – Because of their genetic make-up, some individuals are simply more predisposed than others to the development of ingrown hairs.
7. Inflammation – Ingrown hairs can sometimes become inflamed, leading to redness, irritation, and swelling.
How To Identify Ingrown Hair
1. Inspect the area closely for any small, blackheads-like bumps. This is often the first sign of ingrown hair.
2. If you find any bumps, try to determine if they’re hard or soft. Ingrown hairs will often feel hard and raised from the skin.
3. Look out for any areas of inflammation or irritation, which can be a sign that the hair has become ingrown.
4. See if you can spot any redness or pus around the bump. This is indicative of a more serious infection.
5. In some cases, you may be able to see the hair itself poking out from the skin.
How To Treat Ingrown Hair
1. Exfoliate – When you exfoliate your skin, you help remove any dead skin cells or debris that may be preventing the hair follicle from functioning properly. This will help to unclog the follicle, which will allow the hair to grow out in the correct direction.
2. Warm Compress – Warm compresses applied to the affected area can assist to relax the skin and open up the pores in that area. The removal of the hair follicle will be simplified as a result of this.
3. Tweezers – If you are able to see the hair that has become entangled, you may be able to pull it out with tweezers. Take care not to pull or pinch the skin around the follicle as this could cause it to break.
4. Antiseptic Solution – After the hair has been removed, an antiseptic solution can be applied to the surrounding skin to help disinfect it and protect against infection.
5. Hair Removal Creams – You should give utilizing a hair removal cream a shot if you have a history of getting ingrown hairs on a regular basis. This will assist in removing the hair from the root, which will assist in reducing the likelihood that you may experience ingrown hairs in the future.
So, how do you know if you have ingrown hair? The most common symptoms of an ingrown hair are a red bump or lesion on the skin that may be itchy or sore. If you think you might have an ingrown hair, try using a warm compress to see if that helps the area heal. If the problem persists, make an appointment with your dermatologist to get it checked out. Thanks for reading!
Are You Looking for a Skin Care Clinic You Can Trust?
Skincare services at Simply Skin Esthetics in downtown Walnut Creek, California are amazing experiences that keep our clients coming back time after time. Why? Because we care and more importantly we provide skincare treatments that are safe and long-lasting. We care, and it shows in our repeat clientele. We feature HydraFacial, Ultrasound Facial, Signature Facial, Men’s Facial, Express Facial, Treatments/Peels, Teen Facial, and Back Facials! Interested in learning more or scheduling your first session? Contact us now to make your appointment!