Can A Skin Care Clinic Help With My Acne?
Acne is the most common skin problem in the United States of America. It often appears to be an outbreak of pimples on your face. But it can also appear on your chest , neck, back, or shoulders.
While you may be wearing a rash on your chest or arm, it’s hard to hide bumps and blemishes on your face. Plus, they could be painful. They can affect your mood and make you more self-conscious.
Acne occurs when the pore is clogged with oil and dead skin cells. It may affect people of all ages. But there are treatments that can be helpful. The trick is to find out what works best for you.
You Can Treat It
While a pinch will eventually go away, if you have a lot of outbreaks, the skin problem that normally causes it won’t go away on its own. And if you don’t, you could end up with scars.
Your skin doctor (dermatologist) can help. It may suggest a cream, lotion, gel, or soap that contains ingredients that can help. Many can be purchased without a prescription:
- Benzoyl peroxide kills bacteria and removes extra oil.
- Resorcinol is for whiteheads and blackheads.
- Salicylic acid keeps pores from getting clogged.
- Sulfur removes dead skin cells.
- Spironolactone blocks excess hormone.
For more serious acne, your doctor may prescribe:
- Antibiotics to kill bacteria
- Birth control pills for women with acne due to hormones
- Isotretinoin to help you make less oil
You may need a combination of oral medication and cream or lotion. Don’t stop using your treatments if your skin is clear. Stick with it until your doctor tells you to stop. This could help keep the acne from coming back.
Other Kinds of Treatments
In addition to oral medications, lotions, and creams, your doctor may also suggest:
- Laser or other therapies that use light to treat blemishes
- Chemical peels to remove dead skin cells
- Surgical removal of large cysts that can’t be treated with medicine
- Cyst injections with anti-inflammatory cortisone
These treatments can be performed in a doctor’s clinic or as an outpatient in a hospital.
Some people use natural treatments such as tea tree oil (works like benzoyl peroxide but slower) or alpha hydroxy acids (remove dead skin and unclog pores) to treat their acne. Not much is known about how many of these treatments work and their long-term safety. A lot of natural ingredients are added to acne lotions and creams. Please talk to your doctor to see if they are right for you.
Other skin tips:
- Don’t use too much topical acne medicine — apply just enough to cover problem areas.
- Many acne medicines (benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and tretinoin) make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Don’t use oily makeup, sunscreen, or hair products.
- Don’t pick at or squeeze your pimples.
- Keep your hair, hands, and phone off your face.
Are You Looking for a Skin Care Clinic You Can Trust?
Skin care services at Simply Skin Esthetics in downtown Walnut Creek, California are amazing experiences which keep our clients coming back for time after time. Why? Because we care and more importantly we provide skin care treatments that are safe and long-lasting. We care, and it shows in our repeat clientele. We feature HydraFacial, Ultrasound Facial, Signature Facial, Mens Facial, Express Facial, Treatments/Peels, Teen Facial and Back Facials! Interested in learning more or scheduling your first session? Contact us now to make your appointment!